Well they played a little old football game yesterday in New Orleans between two teams who share the colors black and gold. The outcome of the game changed the status of several things:
The Saints with the help of a questionable pass interference call, a dumb decision to fake a punt, and a untimely fumble – won the game 31-28 and with it have the status of having home field advantage as long as they last in the playoffs.
My Pittsburgh Steelers with the lost no longer have the status of being division leaders and now must win next Sunday versus Cincinnati for any shot at the playoffs.
Status plays an important part in the Christmas story:
- Mary a simple teenager has been elevated to saintly status because God has found favor with her.
- Shepherds who were simple keeping watch over their flocks have been elevated to the status of the first proclaimers of the birth of Jesus because as the Word tells us in Luke Chapter 2 verses 16, 17 and 18
16 …… they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. 17 When they had seen Him, they made widely known the word which was told them concerning this Child, Jesus 18 And all those who heard it marveled at what the shepherds told them.
- And the Manger that stinky, barn when animals lay has been elevated to the status of holy ground because wrapped in swaddling clothes, Jesu laid there.
You know it’s been said that everyone who works for Donald Trump has their status lowered because of the association:
- Ask his campaign manager
- Ask his lawyer
- Now ask his Defense Secretary
But you know the status of nearly everyone and everything associated with Jesus improves:
- Ask the Woman at the Well
- Ask his disciples
- Just look at the cross
So yes my football status took a hit yesterday. However, my status with heaven the status that really matters is still in tack. My status is still growing, my status is still reaching for higher heights for my status is focused on that solid rock.
Because of the birth, death, resurrection and coming again of Jesus, the status that I wish for all of you on this Christmas Eve is simply this: is for God to find favor with you so on that day of judgment it will be said of your status: “Well Done My God and Faithful Servant Well Done!”