Donald Trump’s recent comments about John McCain’s status as a war hero has unleashed a boatload of discussion about who is a hero.
Dictionary.com defines a hero as: “A person in eyes of others who has distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.”
Clearly we want to garner the favor, honor, and esteem of our fellow man. However, ultimately it is how God views our faithfulness to Him that will determine if we are a hero.
Heroes Of The Faith
From Noah in the Ark to David with a slingshot to Simeon waiting for Jesus at the Temple scripture is filled with heroes of the faith.
However, heroes of the faith are not limited to biblical figures. Heroes of the faith walk among us every day.
These are but a few of the faith heroes I have been fortunate to have met.
- Betty Tolbert: Armed with little money but a lot of faith founded a Christian school in the 1970’s. Brining high quality Christian education to thousands of students including my son.
- Shawn Kirkland: This man gave up a promising career out west in corporate America to return to his native Pittsburgh; launching a church in the difficult intercity. He has been an inspiration to me and a model for my ministry efforts.
- Gloria Wicker: Gifted in music, preaching and pastoring. The Reverend, Doctor Wicker is a leader in the African Methodist Episcopal Church. And in the community as the outstanding and effective president of the local school board. I am proud to call her my Pastor and spiritual leader.
7 Heroic Actions
God wants you to be a hero of the faith. Jesus in Matthew 5:5-9 commands us to live lives doing these seven heroic actions of the faith.
- A Hunger for Righteousness
- A Thirst for Righteousness
- Showing Mercy
- Pureness in Heart
- Being a Peacemaker
Blessed Is The Hero
When we keep these seven commandments of heroic faith God will bless us. And that blessings will provide us with the prowess, protection, and power to go out and do more heroic things. Because we are operating with the benefits of His blessings.
The benefits of God’s blessings are significant, look how David express them in Psalm 103: 2-5
Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgives all your sins
And heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from the pit
And crowns you with love and compassion,
Who satisfies your desires with good things
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Who Is A Hero?
Therefore who is a hero? A hero does not have be a person in the military, or a person who is famous, or a person who has accomplished a lot. A hero is simply a person blessed by God because she is doing the heroic actions of Matthew 5:5-9
Blessed are the meek and gentle—they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness—they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful—they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are those who are pure in heart—they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers—they will be called children of God.
Will You Be A Hero?
Without question John McCain is a true war hero. Words can never express my admiration, for his honor, valor and service to our nation.
However, the hero status that we all should seek — is to be heroes of the faith.
God is waiting with open arms to declare us as heroes. So the question for us is this… Will you be a hero?