The most watched, the most shared and perhaps the most joyful video ever was posted to Facebook last week by a woman who is now called worldwide the Chewbecca Mom.
Candace Payne a 37 year old stay at home mom of two from Grand Prairie, Texas rocked to fame when a Facebook live video of herself infectiously laughing while wearing a toy Chewbecca mask broke Facebook records, garnering millions of views.
Candace and her Chewbecca mask via the power of social media, has demonstrated one of the most powerful truths of our lives…God created us to be joyful.
In the video Candace is living proof that we should use our lives to spread the joy of the Lord through the simple joys of our lives.
The joy of the Lord is the gladness of heart that comes from knowing God, abiding in Christ, and being filled with the Holy Spirit. The joy of the Lord is a reoccurring theme in the Bible:
- When Jesus was born, the angels announced “good tidings of great joy” (Luke 2:10).
- Even before His birth, Jesus had brought joy, as attested to in Mary’s song. (Luke 1:47)
- In his mother’s womb the embryo that was to become John the Baptist “leaped for joy” in response to hearing the voice of Mary the mother of Jesus.
Jesus exemplified joy in His ministry, he did not go around as a glum and domed son of God in fact:
- His enemies accused Him of being too joyful on occasion (Luke 7:34).
- Jesus described Himself as bridegroom enjoying a wedding feast (Mark 2:18–20);
- Joy is reflected in many of Jesus’ parables, including the three stories in Luke 15, which mention “rejoicing in the presence of the angels” (Luke 15:10) and end with a joyful shepherd, a joyful woman, and a joyful father.
The video is so enduring not only because it is funny but for the message that Candace gives about the power of sharing our simple joys.
In an interview with Good Morning America, Candace reveals
“The best part of all of this is being able to share joy with people is the reactions that I have received.
I had one lady message me about her autistic daughter who hadn’t laughed in two months. She said that every time she showed her the video, she laughed and laughed.”
Candace goes on to say… “From one mama’s heart to another mama, to see a child laugh that you haven’t seen laugh, those are the stories I will take with me every day.”
Jesus tells us in John 10:10: That a thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came so that you may have life and have it abundantly.
The simple act of posting a video about the simple purchase of a Chewbecca mask has caused an abundance of joy for the entire world.
While we may not post the most viewed video in the history of Facebook, we can and should share the abundant joy of the Lord in our everyday lives.
So let us never forget that God created us to be joyful.
So let us share the simple joys and the hijinks of our lives as we continue to laugh with the adventures of Candace Payne who will forever be our joyous Chewbecca Mom.