The shocking exodus of the United Kingdom from the European Union has produced a worldwide drop in stock markets, a deep devaluation of the British Pound, and the unprecedented resignation of Prime Minster David Cameron.
Still to play out are the terms of Britain’s separation from the now 27 member EU along with the political ramifications as both the Labor and Conservative parties scramble for new leaders.
Additionally, some in Scotland which voted by large majorities to stay in the European Union are now calling for a redo of their recent vote, to remain a part of the UK.
Indeed it has been a shocking exodus.
The Israelites, lead by God through Moses, engineered another shocking exodus as they stunned Pharaoh and his army. They left Egypt in dramatic fashion after four hundred plus years of harsh slavery.
Grateful for what God had done, the Israelites praised the Lord in a song of deliverance in Exodus 15:1-7:
Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord:
“I will sing to the Lord, for he is highly exalted.
Both horse and driver, he has hurled into the sea.
“The Lord is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.
He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.
The Lord is a warrior; the Lord is his name.
Pharaoh’s chariots and his army, he has hurled into the sea. The best of Pharaoh’s officers are drowned in the Red Sea.
Many of us are in need of a shocking exodus:
- We are in need of a shocking exodus from sinful habits that keep us away from full fellowship with God.
- We are in need of a shocking exodus from a bad relationship that has taken our joy.
- We are in need of a shocking exodus from fear that keeps us away from achieving God’s fullest potential for us.
We serve a God that delivers the shocking exodus:
- Job – With the shocking exodus that he had lost everything but the deliverance of faith that gave him everything back and more
- Esther – With the shocking exodus that she must risk death at the hands of the Pharaoh to save her people. For God put Ester in a royal position for such a time as this
- Jesus – With the shocking exodus that God would actually send His son to earth to be brutally killed to atone for the sins of the world and then to rise up to give the world a hope and a future.
Regardless of our age, status or condition, God is calling on us to make a shocking exodus in service to Him.
Take a moment today, and ask God to reveal the things that he wants you to do. While your shocking exodus may not be as famous as the United Kingdom’s exodus from the European Union, it will be just and perhaps more impactful.
For the Lord wants us to have a shocking exodus