No one wants to be an idiot, especially when it comes to Facebook where there’s the chance for thousands of people, including recruiters and potential employers, to see it.
I have been on Facebook since 2007 and have made my share of mistakes that have made me look like an idiot. The social media and email marketing experts at Constant Contact recently compiled a list of mistakes that can make you look like an idiot on Facebook. And so, as a public service, the Smart Job Blog presents the Top 5 Things That Can Make You Look An Idiot on Facebook.
Are you doing any of these things?
5. Not monitoring your Facebook Page. When someone visits your page, are they going to find it full of links from Facebook spammers inviting your fans to college night at the local bar of to click to win a free iPad?
4. Liking your own post. Really? That’s almost a cry for help. Maybe that’s why no one else is liking it.
3. Posting one thing right after another. Your fns may love you, but long post after post after post in the newsfeed can be a bit much. Be sure to space out your updatesso there’s a better chance people will engage with them rather than pass them by.
2. Spelling errors. As small as they might be, spelling errors can really hurt your Page’s credibility. A typo is okay, but lots of typos are not. Watch for some common misspellings such as there/their/they’re; your/you’re/yore.
1. Not filling out necessary information: location, description, picture, etc. Facebook gives you the opportunity to add detailed information about yourself. Be sure to fill it out fully so recruiters, hiring managers and that long lost friend that has the perfect lead for a job can find you. Concerned about privacy? You should be. You can set the right balance by simply keeping the information you share on Facebook strictly professional.
Your Turn: What Facebook idiot moves have you seen?
By no means is our list of idiot moves on Facebook complete. I look forward to sharing with our readers the idiot Facebook moves you have witnessed. I will post your responses in next week’s blog.
Bottom Line: You don’t have to be an idiot on Facebook. Smart Job Searchers are aware of the importance of a good Facebook image. So be aware of those things that may make you look like an idiot on Facebook. Are you guilty of doing any of the top 5? Well, as a Smart Job Searcher, now that you know it may be a good time to stop.